By Daniel Chigundu
MDC-Alliance leader Nelson Chamisa has appointed Dangamvura-Chikanga legislator Prosper Mutseyami as the party’s Chief Whip in the National Assembly.
The appointment of Mutseyami comes as a shock as the party had over the years relied on the service and dexterity of Mutare Central legislator Innocent Gonese for the position.
Those in the know claim that Chamisa is realigning the party by appointing his trusted lieutenants to key positions in both party and Parliament as he looks to entrench his grip on the party ahead of a possible elective congress.
According to party spokesperson Jacob Mafume, the key appointments are meant to help transform the party’s input in Parliament.
“MDC President Advocate Nelson Chamisa this week made key parliamentary appointments in line with his agenda to transform the party’s input into the national legislative, representational and oversight agenda,” he said.
MDC Alliance Parliamentary leadership:
Leader in National Assembly -Hon Tabitha Khumalo
Deputy-Hon Paurina Mpariwa
Leader of Senate -Senator Elias Mudzuri
Deputy-Senator Morgan Komichi
Chief whip in National Assembly-Hon Prosper Mutseyami
Deputy-Hon Nonthando Ndlovu
Chief Whip in Senate-Senator Lillian Timveos
Mafume added that “Parliament will be a crucial arena of ideas, fighting corruption and holding the executive to account.
“To ensure the effective implementation of our parliamentary agenda, the President made the following appointments to chair key Parliamentary positions”.
- Hon Charlton Hwende- ICT Committee
- Hon Ruth Labode –Health and Child Care Committee
- Hon Concilia Chinanzvavana- Environment and Tourism Committee
- Hon Daniel Molekela – Higher and Tertiary Education Science and Technology Development
- Hon Prince Sibanda –Information Media and Broadcasting Services Committee
- Hon Tendai Biti-Public Accounts
- Hon Joel Gabbuzza -Energy and power development Committee.
Senator Morgan Femai was appointed to chair the Thematic Committee on HIV/AIDS while Senator Siphiwe Ncube will chair the Committee on Gender and Development.
The MDC Alliance also appointed the following members to impact the party’s international Parliamentary agenda.
- Hon Amos Chibaya – Inter-Parliamentary Union
- Hon Trevor Saruwaka – ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly
- Hon Murisi Zwizai – African Parliamentary Union
- Hon Bacilia Majaya and Hon Anele Ndebele – SADC PF
- Hon Tapiwa Mashakada – Pan African Parliament
Distinguished lawyers Honourable Kucaca Phulu and Honourable Maxwell Mavhunga were deployed to the Parliamentary legal committee considering the need to align laws to the constitution.